Friday, September 25, 2009

Marriage Proposal

I can't believe I haven't told you. I was in Israel last April and while I was staying with my friends their house keeper came by to clean. She was from a nearby Arab town. When she met me she asked my friend, Sharon, where my husband was. When Sharon told her I didn't have a husband the woman looked confused. She asked Sharon if I had children and when Sharon said no she looked even more confused. She told Sharon that there was a man in her town who was looking to marry a woman just my age. A very nice man, she said. He was 70 and just out of prison. I thought it might be hard to sneak a 70 year old Arab man who had been in prisoned past Israeli security and into the U.S. so I guess I will have to go back. I have to go back anyway because I left a sock at my friends house when I did the laundry.