Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fe-mailman

The other day I was out in the neighborhood with my friend, Norma, and we ran into my mailman who is a woman. I guess that would have been a mail woman at one time before it became a mail person and then a mail carrier to be completely neutral. I waved to her and she waved back. My friend, Norma, used to be a cop in Oakland before she retired. If you met her it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to go out on a limb and guess that's what she used to do for a living. Plus, she wears blue t-shirts a lot. Norma says she is mistaken for a man more often than she is assumed to be a woman. She says that when she waits in a line the clerk will say to the people in front of her, "Can I help you, Sir? Can I help you, Ma'am?" But when she gets to the front of the line they just say, "Can I help you?" So, I ran into my fe-mailman while I was with my friend who is a female man.

No comments: